Chief Master Sgt. Jessica L. Wheeldon serves as Senior Enlisted Leader for the United States Air Force Heritage of America Band, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. The band is comprised of 61 personnel and 5 flights including operations, publicity, resources, readiness, and administrative support. Additionally, the band maintains 9 performance teams that execute more than 350 mission each year in support of strategic Air Force communication efforts, Presidential support, civic outreach, international partnership building, recruiting, and troop support across a 15-state region and at deployed locations around the world. Chief Wheeldon is the principal advisor to the commander on good order and discipline, health and wellness, readiness, professional development, and training of the unit’s enlisted personnel.
Chief Wheeldon entered the Air Force as a flutist in 1995 and has performed as an Air Force Ambassador around the world in concert bands, chamber ensembles and as a soloist. She has shared the stage with artists such as Amy Grant, Lonestar, Take 6, Vince Gill, Sandi Patti, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Her assignments have given her the opportunity to travel on multiple troop morale tours to Europe and Southwest Asia, providing logistical support for Hootie and the Blowfish, Jamie O’Neal, Restless Heart, Lee Greenwood and Blues Traveler. While deployed as the Superintendent for the U.S. Air Forces Central Command Band, she leveraged the power of music to bolster the morale of U.S. and coalition troops and strengthen global partnerships throughout Southwest Asia. As the Air Force Bands Career Field Manager, she grew career field accessions to record highs, transformed the enlisted development team process, and implemented the restoration of premier status to the United States Air Force Academy Band.
1992 Bachelor of Music, The Pennsylvania State University
1995 Master of Music, Arizona State University
2000 Airman Leadership School
2006 Non-commissioned Officer Academy
2008 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course
2010 Air Force Senior Non-commissioned Officer Academy
2010 Joint Senior Enlisted Public Affairs Course, Defense Information School
2018 Strategic Mindset Seminar
2018 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II Course
1. August 1995 – May 2002; Flutist, USAF Band of the West, Lackland AFB, TX
2. May 2002 – December 2008; Flutist, Band of the USAF Reserve, Robins AFB, GA
3. December 2008 – October 2013; Superintendent, Engagement Division, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Public Affairs, Washington, D.C.
4. October 2013 – September 2015; Chief Enlisted Manager, USAF Heritage of America Band, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, VA
5. September 2015 – June 2017; Chief Enlisted Manager, USAF Heartland of America Band, Offutt AFB, NE
6. June 2017 – August 2020; Career Field Manager, Air Force Bands, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Public Affairs, Washington, D.C.
7. August 2020 – August 2022; Senior Enlisted Leader, United States Air Forces in Europe Band, Ramstein AB, Germany
8. August 2022 – present; Senior Enlisted Leader, USAF Heritage of America Band, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, VA
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Senior NCO Academy Distinguished Graduate, 2010
Airman Leadership School Levitow Award, 2000
Basic Military Training Honor Graduate, 1995
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant, July 2014
(Current as of January 2023)