Technical Sergeant Lencys Esteban Nuñez serves as saxophonist for the Band of the Pacific as of September, 2021.
Sergeant Lencys Esteban Nuñez was born in Havana, Cuba and relocated to Denver, Colorado in 1997 at the age of fifteen. He earned his High School diploma from the Denver School of the Performing Arts in 2000, and was awarded his Bachelor of Music degree in Saxophone Performance from the Lamont School of Music at the University of Denver in June 2004. TSgt Esteban Nuñez has studied with Arthur Bouton, Malcom Lynn Baker, César López, Mark Harris, and Anthony Dagradi, among others. He was the recipient of the 2004 Kanter Plaut Foundation Award for "The Most Outstanding Senior in Performance" and was awarded the Lamont School of Music 2004 Senior Recital of Distinction. In May 2002, he was a member of the Saxophone Quartet that won the Lamont Chamber Music Competition, at the University of Denver. In 2000, Sergeant Esteban Nuñez performed at Carnegie Hall in New York, NY with the National Wind Ensemble.
2004 Bachelor's of Music in Saxophone Performance, University of Denver, Colo.
2012 Airman Leadership School, Kapaun Air Base, Germany
2012 Associates Degree in Applied Science/Music, Community College of the Air Force
2014 Music Certificate, Berklee College of Music, Boston, Mass.
2020 Non-Commissioned Officer's Academy, Residence
1. September 2005 - May 2009, USAF Heritage of America Band, Langley AFB, Virginia
2. May 2009 - August 2011, U.S. Air Forces in Europe Band, Sembach AB, Germany
3. August 2011 - August 2016, U.S. Air Forces in Europe Band, Ramstein AB, Germany
4. August 2016 - October 2017, USAF Academy Band, Peterson AFB, Colo.
5. October 2017 - February 2018, U.S. Air Forces Central Command Band, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
6. February 2018 - July 2020, USAF Academy Band, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. July 2020 - January 2021, U.S. Air Forces Central Band, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
8. January 2021 - August 2021 USAF Academy Band, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. September 2021 - Present, USAF Band of the Pacific-Asia, Yokota AB, Japan
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman First Class - August 2005
Senior Airman - November 2007
Staff Sergeant - September 2012
Technical Sergeant - September 2019
(Current as of November 2021)